Sunday, 12 May 2013

Meals, Smoothies, Unicorns and Ditching Facebook

Hi all!  We had a bit of warm weather the other day, it was so nice!  Of course it's all gone now and it's grey and miserable outside again.  Hopefully we'll have some more sunshine again soon.

We got a new fridge freezer on Friday, it's great!  Nearly 2ft taller than our last one which was nearly as old as me :-/  We decided it was time to get a new one as the old one was freezing stuff in the fridge and it was a little on the small side.  We should hopefully save a bit on the electric now too as well be able to do a massive shop and stock up the freezer.  Woo hoo!  I really need to get out more...
Here are some of the meals I've had recently.  First is a tofu scramble with veggies and rye bread.  On the right is a salad I made using mixed beans, carrots, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber and milled flax and pumpkin seeds.  I had it with rye bread, oatcakes and little balsamic vinegar.


I went to Sandringham for a walk last week and I thought the flowers on this tree were really pretty.  I also thought I'd take a photo of the Queens seal printed on the gate cos I liked it :)  I love walking around there, we've only seen a bit of it so far, we'll have to investigate some more as it's really beautiful.  Especially now everything is coming into bloom.


When I went to Tesco recently I was really surprised to see a new, repackaged range of dairy free food.  They have loads now!  Even a soy cheese which I am still yet to try.  They have their own version of the coconut milk I like too and as it's cheaper I'll be getting that from now on.  They had soy yoghurts and chocolate puddings made from coconut milk too, I'll be trying them all I think! :)


Another couple of tasty dinners, chargrilled burgers made with Asda's burger mix served with baked sweet potato slices, baked courgette and lightly fried onions.  Next to it is my awesome Friday night dinner, burritos!  I used veggie mince, onions, peppers, mixed beans and some Old El Paso Taco seasoning to get the filling.  I put some into wraps and added in avocado, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and loads of vegan mayo and ketchup...they were so good!  I had loads of the mince left over so had some for lunch the next day too.  Definitely having these again, they're a new favourite.

I've decided to eat clean and ditch alcohol for the next six weeks.  I've been calorie counting using the Calorie Count website and app and lost 2lb's in a week which I'm pleased with.  I have about 50lbs more to lose though!  So I'll be eating clean, counting calories and trying to exercise more.  I did a Jillian Michaels DVD last week and found it hard to walk for a few days after!!  I'm trying to get the courage up to do that again haha!  The calorie count app is great and it's all free. It gives you an analysis of your day too with pie charts and graphs, I'm in geek heaven! I need to get out and do some more running too so I'll try and do a couple with Andy this week.

For breakfast this morning I had tofu scramble with some taco seasoning, mushroom stir fry veg, peppers, cherry tomatoes and a white tortilla.  I know the tortilla isn't exactly 'clean eating' but I have a couple left and I'm not going to throw them away.  The whole breakfast was about 350 calories which is pretty good as there was A LOT of it!!  


I went for a 4 mile walk and burned about 450 calories.  When I got back I made myself a mighty fine smoothie!  I used frozen mango, strawberries, banana, blueberries, water, cocoa powder and dates.  It was really nice!  Will make one of those again, although I might leave the mango out as it made it a little flowery.  Still good though :)  In the pic I have my blender resting on my new Salter scales, they were £14.99 and I think they're fantastic.  They're so easy to use and extremely accurate, I'm using them to measure everything so I can track my calories more easily.  Definitely recommend them.


I've also decided to ditch facebook for the time being, my personal account at least.  What do you guys think about Facebook these days?  I've not shut it down I'm just not logging on.  I got fed up of seeing idiotic and racist comments from my so called 'friends', or more likely someone I worked with for 2 months, 8 years ago etc.  I'm still in love with instagram and the blogging thing though :)  It's more positive and constructive!

Anyway, I'll leave you with this picture that makes me laugh!  Have a great week :)

Lana x

14 comments:

  1. Funnily I've also been looking at some of the racist posts that people have made and thinking 'do I comment about how wrong this is?' Or do I just leave it? I get so cross about the 'Daily Mail'politics of some people. I too have 50lbs to lose so perhaps we could encourage each other xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so :) I agree it's hard to know whether you should comment or not. I think I should really but then is it more trouble than it's worth? It's easier just to stay out of it which is why I've ditched Facebook. Out of sight out of mind. Oh yes we should definitely encourage each other! :) I need all the encouragement I can get! The calorie count website is amazing, it really helps me keep to the right amount of calories. Stir fry is my new best friend, you can have huge amounts of the stir fry veggies and there's hardly any calories in them. Happy days! :) xx

      Delete
  2. It's so funny I think everyone is getting tired of Facebook. I've been thinking about leaving Facebook for a while now and will probably de-activate my account sooner rather than later. I'm perfectly happy on Instagram and Twitter. :)

    Great looking meals! I'm 100% with you on the clean eating challenge. I've felt so gross lately and I really need to start cleaning it up. I like eating lighter and cleaner for summer anyway so now is the perfect time to do so! I'll be here to cheer you on, sounds like you are doing amazing already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I always find it easier to eat cleaner and lighter in summer too, I've been going back over my blog from a year ago and it's much cleaner! That's the great thing I'm loving about blogging, as well as getting to speak to like minded people:)

      It's really interesting what people are saying about Facebook. I remember being obsessed with MySpace a few years ago lol, maybe they all have their time. I think the appeal of Instagram and Twitter is that they're worldwide and inclusive (if you choose them to be). Facebook is more a way of showing the people you know 'what a great time!' you're having. You can still do that with Instagram and Twitter but it has a much wider audience. Without the both of those sites and blogging I never would have discovered so many of the amazing vegan (& non vegan) people that are out there. I feel like I can post with impunity on those sites too whereas with Facebook I worry about what my work colleagues/ex-work colleagues/ family/ strange man from the bus stop might say. Here's to discovering new friends from around the world through Instagram, Twitter and blogging :)

      Delete
  3. So they have a 'Norfolk' in England? I thought you were in Norfolk, Virginia, but I saw 'Tesco' and pound signs...but then Tofu Scramble and 'Old El Paso'... very confusing. I enjoyed the cartoon:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ah they usually put a 'New' in front the name..New York, New England..…no New Norfolk though! Ah yeah Old El Paso has made it here, Uncle Bens and Oreos too! Lol. Glad you like the cartoon, I want a print of it for my wall :) x

      Delete
  4. The burrito looks awesome! Very well done. The smoothie too, it's a beautiful color.
    I'm still on Facebook but don't log on often. Unfortunately it's the only way I communicate with certain friends but I always get in a bad mood seeing the ads and just people saying random, pointless, annoying things. (Not bigoted, though - luckily I don't have any people like that in my life!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) the only reason I don't delete my Facebook account is for that very reason, especially now I've moved away from my hometown and lots of my family live in different parts of the country. But anyway, yes to burritos! I'd not had one before I think, I can't get enough of them now!

      Delete
  5. The Tesco range looks good I will be trying some of those. I think the smoothie looks amazing too, I have never tried them with dates what a good idea. I am interested in the calorie app, I will check the website out.
    Yes I agree with you about Facebook, I found I use it less and less now.
    Really like your blog, it always give me inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The dates just add that extra bit of sweetness for when don't have any ripe bananas or agave! The general consensus seems to be that Facebook is old news!

      Delete
  6. I am SO jealous of that wall of awesome dairy free deliciousness!! We have plenty of choices here in new york city yet i am in love with any and all soy/almond/coconut milks i have had in europe- your soy yogurts are sooooooo much better than any of ours.

    The smoothie looks amazing, i always crave them this time of year.
    I actually have never been on facebook, and i don't think it has impacted my friendships or quality of life in a negative way ;)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, I'm glad the New Yorkers get jealous of us cos I'm always really jealous of the stuff I see on other blogs there hehe :) The smoothie was really nice, I always fancy something sweet after dinner and they usually do the trick :)

      Delete
  7. I love your photographs! Everything looks so good, especially the tofu scrambles.

    Totally understand what you mean about Facebook. It was worse before the election when I noticed that some of my friends "liked" Mitt Romney, but otherwise they were pretty quiet. However, more recently I had to hide my dog's foster mother from my feed because she says these really crazy, racist, stupid things about Obama; she embodies the worst stereotype of a stupid American. Facebook has also allowed me to stay in touch with some good friends though so I'm still enjoying that aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments Rachel :) I do love a good tofu scramble!!

      Yeah I completely agree with what you're saying about Facebook. I had to hide a lot of my 'friends' feeds as they were making me cross with their ill-thought slurs! But then at the same time Facebook is my only link to staying in touch with a lot of family and old friends. I've got it set up so that I get an email if anyone messages me but other than that I don't think I'll check it. I won't close it down though. It's interesting to see that a lot of people are similar thoughts though :)

      Delete